Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Congressman Ralph Abraham

Representing the 5th District of Louisiana

Abraham, delegation support Governor’s appeal of FEMA cost-share reduction denial from March flood

November 1, 2016
Press Release

WASHINGTON – Congressman Ralph Abraham, M.D., R-Alto, on Tuesday led the Louisiana Congressional delegation in a letter to President Obama supporting Gov. John Bel Edwards’ appeal of FEMA’s decision not to grant a cost-share adjustment for the March flood.

Under current parameters, FEMA will cover 75 percent of the damage caused by the March flood, leaving the remaining 25 percent to be covered by the state and local governments. Dr. Abraham, the delegation and Gov. Edwards previously requested that FEMA cover 90 percent of the damages given both the scope of the March flood and the drain on state and local resources that resulted from the August flood.

FEMA denied that request, but the Governor appealed that decision earlier this week. Dr. Abraham and the delegation’s letter supports that appeal. A 90-10 cost-share adjustment has already been granted for victims of the August flood.

“It’s certainly a good step that FEMA has rightfully granted a cost-share adjustment for the victims of the August flood, but March victims cannot be forgotten during this recovery process,” Dr. Abraham said. “We’re still assessing damage, and people are still hurting. They need the support of their federal government.”

Joining Dr. Abraham on the letter were Sens. David Vitter and Bill Cassidy and Reps. Steve Scalise, Garret Graves, Cedric Richmond, John Fleming and Charles Boustany.

Dr. Abraham has also authored a bill that would grant the cost-share reduction.

About 40,000 people across 36 parishes faced flood damages as the result of the March flood. Affected parishes include Allen, Ascension, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Calcasieu, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, De Soto, East Carroll, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, La Salle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Union, Vernon, Washington, Webster, West Carroll and Winn.

###