U.S. Army reports Fort Polk will not sustain drastic cuts to its troop strength
LEESVILLE, La (KNOE 8 News) - Fort Polk and the Joint Readiness Training Center will sustain minor cuts to its troop strength, the U.S. Army reported Thursday, further confirming the military value of the premier training installation and the role the post plays in the nation's defense strategy.
According to the U.S. Army, Fort Polk will lose 388 soldiers, a mere fraction of the troop strength it could have lost in the worst-case scenario. This reduction will result in a net troop population change of -2 percent at Fort Polk from our pre-9/11 levels. Ft. Polk and 29 other installations around the country, had been named as potential areas for troop reduction as the Army was forced to shrink under mandate from the Budget Control Act of 2011.
Rep. Ralph Abraham said he was displeased with the announcement.
"I'm outraged that there were any cuts at all," he said. "At a time where we face threats from ISIS, Iran, North Korea and a host of other threats, our national security should be our paramount concern. Yet, the President has chosen to draw down 40,000 troops nationwide. It defies logic to cut troops when our nation is facing so many threats. If anything, Fort Polk should be adding troops because it is a world-renowned joint readiness center. We need leadership, not troop drawdowns."
To read the full story, click here.